Friday, March 9, 2012

Easy Hot Chicken Sandwiches

FRIDAY!!! I had a great week! Mostly because I got to meet my new nephew, Charlie, who came to visit all the way from Pennsilvania. Seeing my little brother and sister-in-law was nice too!

I was not in the mood to make dinner tonight. I was in need of some comfort food, and hot chicken sandwiches popped in my head. After a quick search for a great recipe (I wasn't in the mood for the cream of mushrooms soup version), I found my new french canadian friend, Ricardo Larivee. He is such a frenchy. This took 20 minutes, and the sauce was amazing!

In the end you will have:

  • 2 cups warm cooked chicken, shredded
  • 8-12 slices of sandwich bread
  • Hot chicken sauce (recipe below)
  • 1 can of peas, or frozen peas, warmed
Hot Chicken Sauce, ingredients:
  • 6 Tbs butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • Pinch of cayenne (to taste)
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 Tbs ketchup
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp onion salt
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper

Hot Chicken Sauce--how to make it
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the spices and cook for 1 more minute. Add the remaining ingredients slowly and bring to a boil while whisking. Simmer gently, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Cover and keep warm.
To assemble:
  1. Place a piece of bread on your plate. 
  2. Drench the desired amount of chicken in the sauce, and place on the bread. 
  3. Add desired amount of peas on top. 
  4. Spoon more gravy on top. 
  5. Add a piece of bread, and drizzle more gravy.

Enjoy the comfort!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment