Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Healthy snack muffins
























I guess it's what I do with my 3 year old daughter, we make muffins! All the time. I actually started doing a challenge called "giveit100" where you video tape yourself doing your goal for 100 days. My goal is to spend a quality 30 minutes a day playing, dancing, baking, reading (whatever she wants) with my little 3 year old girl. She starts school next year, and I have a hard time just playing, so it's a challenge, but one that I am loving and enjoying and realizing is so very important and a priority. We bake a lot together, I've noticed…and she is a pro egg cracker! I coincidentally found this recipe at 100 days of real food….I'm all about 100 these days!

Healthy Snack Muffins
MAKES 12 MUFFINS






INGREDIENTS
  • 1½ cups whole-wheat flour 
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or half and half with almond extract)
  • ¼ cup oil (coconut oil is great for healthy)
  • ¾ cup orange juice or apple juice
  • About 1 cup of total filling (berries, fruit, nuts, etc. )

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl with a fork or whisk mix the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  3. Make a well (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the eggs, honey, vanilla, oil and orange juice. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together – do not overmix.
  4. Add 1 cup of filling, for example: grated carrot, mashed up banana & nuts, raisins, craisins, oats or mix and match. You can add any kind of filling you'd like!
  5. For mini muffins, scoop in 1 rounded Tbs into each hole. Slide the tray into the warm oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature and freeze some for a later date.


Enjoy and bon appetit!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment